Place:


Invergowrie  Perthshire

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Invergowrie like this:

Invergowrie, a village at the mutual border of Longforgan parish, Perthshire, and Liff and Benvie parish, Forfarshire, on the Firth of Tay, with a station upon the Dundee and Perth section of the Caledonian, 3¼ miles W of Dundee. Figuring in ancient record as a place of royal embarkation, and surrounded by Crown lands, which Alexander I. ...


designed to be graced with a royal palace, but which he found occasion to convey to the monks of Scone, it has a ruined, ivy-clad church, said to have succeeded a church of the beginning of the 8th century, founded by St Bonifacins, and the earliest N of the Tay. (See Fortrose.) It adjoins the extensive paper-works of Bullionfield and the village of Mylnefield Feus, which in 1881 contained 348 inhabitants. The ancient churchyard crowns an eminence, a mound of singular shape, washed on one side by the Tay; and on the shore, near the ruined church, are two large Blocks of stone, the 'Yowes or Ewes of Gowrie,' of which Thomas the Rhymer predicted that-

when the Yowes o' Gowrie come to land,
The day o' judgements near at hand.

A huge boulder, fabled to have been flung from the Fife coast by the Devil with the intention to destroy the church, lies a little way N of the village; and a Caledonian stone circle, comprising nine large stones and four smaller ones, stands a short distance N of the boulder. Invergowrie House, in Liff and Benvie parish, 2¼ miles W by N of Dundee and 1¾ ENE of Invergowrie station, is situated on a bank sloping down to the Firth; was greatly enlarged about 1836 after designs by W. Burn; and commands a beautiful view of a long reach of the Firth and the Carse of Gowrie. Its owner, George David Clayhills-Henderson, Esq. (b. 1832), holds 2138 acres in Forfar and Perth shires, valued at £4027 per annum. The ancient parish of Invergowrie was of small extent, and since the middle of the 17th century or earlier has been incorporated with Liff and Benvie.—Ord. Sur., sh. 48, 1868.

Invergowrie through time

Invergowrie is now part of Perth and Kinross district. Click here for graphs and data of how Perth and Kinross has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Invergowrie itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Invergowrie, in Perth and Kinross and Perthshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/20315

Date accessed: 22nd January 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Invergowrie ".