Place:


Dysart  Fife

 

In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Dysart like this:

Dysart, parl. and royal burgh, par., and seaport town with ry. sta., Fifeshire, on N. coast of Firth of Forth, 2½ miles NE. of Kirkcaldy, 17¼ NE. of Edinburgh, and 409 NW. of London -- par., 4197 ac., pop. 11,601; parl. burgh, pop. 10,877; royal burgh, pop. 2645; town, pop. 2659; P.O., T.O., 1 Bank. ...


The burgh, parliamentary beyond royal, is part of the extended royal burgh of Kirkcaldy. Dysart was an important place in the 15th and 16th centuries. It has mfrs. of linen and ticks; also shipbuilding. Coal is exported. The harbour is good, and there is a wet dock. In the immediate vicinity is Dysart House, seat of the Earl of Rosslyn. Dysart unites with Kirkcaldy, Burntisland, and Kinghorn in returning 1 member to Parliament.

Dysart through time

Dysart is now part of Fife district. Click here for graphs and data of how Fife has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Dysart itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Dysart in Fife | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/20259

Date accessed: 17th August 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Dysart ".