Place:


Adisham  Kent

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Adisham like this:

ADISHAM, a parish in Bridge district, Kent; on the Dover railway, 6 miles SE of Canterbury. It has a station on the railway; and its Post Town is Wingham under Sandwich. Acres, 1,815. Real property, £3,004. Pop., 492. Houses, 84. The manor was given in 616 to Christ Church, Canterbury; and is now held by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners. ...


The living is a rectory in the diocese of Canterbury; and, till 1864, was united with the p. curacy of Staple. Value, £750.* Patron, the Archbishop of Canterbury. The church is cruciform, and early English, with a central tower. Charities, £20.

Adisham through time

Adisham is now part of Canterbury district. Click here for graphs and data of how Canterbury has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Adisham itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Adisham, in Canterbury and Kent | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/2024

Date accessed: 29th February 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Adisham ".