Place:


Chelvey  Somerset

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Chelvey like this:

CHELVEY, a parish in Bedminster district, Somerset; on the Bristol and Exeter railway, near Nailsea r. station, 8½ miles WSW of Bristol. Post town, Nailsea, Somerset. Acres, 1, 077. Rated property, £1, 249. Pop., 54. Houses, 8. The property is all in one estate. The house-house is now used as a farm-house; and bears the arms of the Tyntes, who became owners of the manor about 1600. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Bath and Wells. Value, £142. Patron, J. Cooke, Esq. The church is later English.

Chelvey through time

Chelvey is now part of North Somerset district. Click here for graphs and data of how North Somerset has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Chelvey itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Chelvey in North Somerset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/20226

Date accessed: 22nd September 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Chelvey ".