Place:


Walkern  Hertfordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Walkern like this:

WALKERN, a parish, with a village, in the district and county of Hertford; 4 miles E by N of Stevenage r. station. It has a post-office under Buntingford. Acres 2,924. Real property, £4,419. Pop., 823. Houses, 163. The manor belongs to the Earl of Essex. Clay Hall is the residence of M. Pryor, Esq. W. Bury has remains of a castle. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £594.* Patron, King's College, Cambridge. The church is Norman and good. There are three dissenting chapels and a national school.

Walkern through time

Walkern is now part of East Hertfordshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how East Hertfordshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Walkern itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Walkern in East Hertfordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/2010

Date accessed: 29th November 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Walkern ".