Place:


Stanstead Abbots  Hertfordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Stanstead Abbots like this:

STANSTEAD-ABBOTS, a village and a parish in Ware district, Herts. The village stands on the river Lea and on the Hertford railway, at St. Margarets r. station, 2½ miles SSE of Ware; was a borough at Domesday; and has a post-office under Ware, and a literary institute. The parish comprises 2,594 acres. ...


Real property, £6,340. Pop. 980. Houses, 202. The manor belonged to Waltham abbey; and passed to the Baeshes and others. Stansteadbury is the seat of Capt. E. S. Trower. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £134.* Patron, the Rev. J. W. Thomas. The church was built in 1578, and is good. There are an Independent chapel, a free grammar-school, a national school and six alms houses.

Stanstead Abbots through time

Stanstead Abbots is now part of East Hertfordshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how East Hertfordshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Stanstead Abbots itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Stanstead Abbots in East Hertfordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/2006

Date accessed: 17th October 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Stanstead Abbots ".