Place:


Pirton  Hertfordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Pirton like this:

PIRTON, a village and a parish in Hitchin district, Herts. The village stands near the boundary with Beds, 3 miles N W by W of Hitchin r. station; was known at Domesday, as Peritone, signifying " Peri's town; " tookthat name from a previous Saxon owner, called Peri; and now has a post-office under Hitchin, and a fair on thefirst Thursday of Nov. ...


The parish comprises 2, 560 acres. Real property, £4, 363. Pop. in 1851, 897; in 1861, 1,023. Houses, 188. The property is divided among a few. The manor belonged, from the time of William the Conqueror, till 1611, to the De Limesies; and was then divided between S. Docwra, Esq., and Eton College. A church and a castle were founded heroby the first De Limesie; and traces of the castle stillexist. High Down was the seat of the Docwras, built in 1612; and is now a farm-house. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £275.* Patrons, the Representatives of the late R. Lindsay, Esq. The church was rebuilt about the middle of the 15thcentury, but retains some Norman work of the previonsedifice. There are a national school, and charities £12.

Pirton through time

Pirton is now part of North Hertfordshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how North Hertfordshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Pirton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Pirton in North Hertfordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/2000

Date accessed: 11th August 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Pirton ".