Place:


Manton  Rutland

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Manton like this:

MANTON, a village and a parish in Oakham district, Rutland. The village stands on an eminence, adjacent to the Syston and Peterborough railway, near the river Gwash, 3½ miles SSE of Oakham; and has a station on the railway. The parish comprises 1,290 acres. Real property, £2,410. Pop., 274. ...


Houses, 62. The manor belonged to Clugny abbey and the Beauchamps. A tunnel, nearly a mile long, takes the railway throughManton hill. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Peterborough. Valne, £102. Patron, E. W. Smyth, Esq. The church stands on a height in the centre of the village; is an old building, with bell turret; and was restored in 1854. A chantry was founded, in the time of Edward III., by W. Wade; but has disappeared.

Manton through time

Manton is now part of Rutland district. Click here for graphs and data of how Rutland has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Manton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Manton in Rutland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1988

Date accessed: 05th December 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Manton ".