Place:


Aldenham  Hertfordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Aldenham like this:

ALDENHAM, a parish in Watford district, Herts; near the Colne river and the St. Albans railway, 3 miles NE of Watford. Post Town, Watford. Acres, 5,840. Real property, £13,801. Pop., 1,769. Houses, 352. The hamlet of Theobald-Street is included. The property is divided. The chief residences are Aldenham Abbey and Aldenham Lodge. ...


The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £425.* Patrons, the Trustees of P. Thelluson, Esq. The church is early English, of cemented flint stones, in very good condition. Radlet chapelry, formed in 1865, is a separate vicarage. Platt's almshouses and free grammar school have an in come of £1,141, and were founded in 1599, and rebuilt in 1825. Other charities, £24.

Aldenham through time

Aldenham is now part of Hertsmere district. Click here for graphs and data of how Hertsmere has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Aldenham itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Aldenham, in Hertsmere and Hertfordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1975

Date accessed: 16th September 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Aldenham ".