Place:


Wonersh  Surrey

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Wonersh like this:

WONERSH, a parish, with a village, in Hambledon district, Surrey; on the Arun and Wey canal, 3¼ miles SSE of Guildford r. station. It has a post-office under Guildford. Acres, 4,427. Real property, £5,988. Pop. in 1851, 1,280; in 1861, 1,438. Houses, 285. W. Park is the seat of Lord Grantley; W. ...


Lodge, of G. T. Beanchamp, Esq.; and Lostiford House, ofEde, Esq. Blue cloth for the Canary islands was once manufactured; and some brick-yards and a cocoanut matting factory were recently established. Remains of an ancient camp are on a hill. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Winchester. Value, £187.* Patron, Lord Grantley. The church is good; and there are a slightly endowed school, and charities £89.

Wonersh through time

Wonersh is now part of Waverley district. Click here for graphs and data of how Waverley has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Wonersh itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Wonersh, in Waverley and Surrey | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1973

Date accessed: 05th July 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Wonersh ".