Place:


Kirkburton  West Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Kirkburton like this:

KIRKBURTON, a village, a township, a parish, and a sub-district in Huddersfield district, W. R. Yorkshire. The village stands 2 miles N of Shepley r. station, and 5 SE of Huddersfield, and has a post office, ‡ under Huddersfield; and cattle fairs on the last Monday of April and Oct.-The township contains also the village of High-Burton, and the hamlets of Dogley-Lane, GreenGrove, Spring-Grove, Linfit-Lane, and Paddock. ...


Acres, 1, 260. Real property, £7, 476; of which £89 are in mines. Pop. in 1851, 3, 560; in 1861, 3, 664. Houses, 748. Much of the land belongs to the Earl of Dartmonth. The woollen and fancy manufactures are largely carried on.—The parish contains also the townships of Shelley, Shepley, Thurstonland, Fulstone, Hepworth, Cartworth, Wooldale, and part of Half-Cumberworth. Acres, 15, 990. Real property, with the rest of HalfCumberworth, £50, 101; of which £2, 006 are in mines, £568 in iron works, and £104 in quarries. Pop. in 1851, 20, 371; in 1861, 20, 526. Houses, 4, 071. The property, in most parts, is much subdivided. The manor of Shepley belongs to Sir Joseph Radcliffe; that of Thurstonland, toH. Bill, Esq.; and that of Hepworth, to S. W. L. Fox, Esq. The mines are in seven of the townships, but most largely in Thurstonland and Hepworth; the iron works are in Hepworth; and woollen mills are in Shelley, Shepley, and Hepworth. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ripon. Value, £320. * Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is of the 13th century; and has a fine chancel, and a tower. The p. curacies of Shepley, Thurstonland, Newmill, Hepworth, and Holmfirth, are separate benefices. There are Independent, Wesleyan, and Primitive Methodist chapels, national schools, a mechanics' institute, and several charities in Kirkburton township; and five churches, eight Dissenting chapels, a number of public schools, and some charities, in the other townships.-The subdistrict excludes Fulstone, Hepworth, Cartworth, and Wooldale townships, but includes a township of High Hoyland and Silkstone parishes. Acres, 7, 160. Pop., 12, 501. Houses, 2, 492.

Kirkburton through time

Kirkburton is now part of Kirklees district. Click here for graphs and data of how Kirklees has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Kirkburton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Kirkburton, in Kirklees and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/192

Date accessed: 16th October 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Kirkburton ".