Place:


Neasham  County Durham

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Neasham like this:

NEASHAM, or Nysam, a township in Hurworth parish, Durham; on the river Tees, at the boundary with Yorkshire, 4 miles S E of Darlington. It has a post-office under Darlington, and a ferry on the Tees. Acres, 1, 575. Real property, £2, 141. Pop., 333. Houses, 77. The monks who bore the body of St. ...


Cuthbert, crossed the Tees by a ford here, on their way to Ripon. A Benedictine nunnery was founded here, by the Dacres, before the time of Henry II.; and is now represented by only the foundations. Neasham Abbey, the seat of Mrs. Wilkinson, is a modern house. Neasham Hall, the seat of J. Cookson, Esq., is noted as a place where manythorough-bred race-horses have been bred. The owner of Sockburn manor used always, in the times of the Bishop of Durham's temporal power, to meet him on his first entrance into the county at Neasham, and to present him here with a sword.

Neasham through time

Neasham is now part of Darlington district. Click here for graphs and data of how Darlington has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Neasham itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Neasham, in Darlington and County Durham | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1912

Date accessed: 05th July 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Neasham ".