Ocle Pychard  Herefordshire


In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Ocle Pychard like this:

OCLE-PITCHARD, a parish in Bromyard district, Hereford; 3¼ miles N by W of Stoke-Edith r. station, and 6¾ S W by W of Bromyard. It includes Ocle-Livers; and its post town is Withington, under Hereford. Acres, 1, 507. Real property, £2, 709. Pop. in 1851, 221; in 1861, 299. Houses, 51. ...

The property is subdivided. The manor belongs to J. L. Harrison, Esq. The S side of the parish is traversed by the Hereford and Gloucester canal. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Hereford. Value, not reported. Patron, T. Hill, Esq. The church is ancient; has a fine tower and some good painted windows; and was restored in 1869. There is a free school.

Ocle Pychard through time

Ocle Pychard is now part of Herefordshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how Herefordshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Ocle Pychard itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Ocle Pychard in Herefordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.


Date accessed: 13th April 2024

Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Ocle Pychard".