Place:


Monkland  Herefordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Monkland like this:

MONKLAND, a parish, with a village, in Leominster district, Hereford; on the river Arrow, 2¾ miles SW by W of Leominster r. station. Post town, Leominster. Acres, 1,079. Real property, £2,035. Pop., 211. Houses, 48. The property is snbdivided. The manor belongs to G. Bengough, Esq. ...


A Benedictine priory, a cell to Conches abbey, in Normandy, was founded here, in the time of William Rufus, by Ralph Toni; and was given, at the suppression of alien monasteries, to the Dean and Canons of Windsor. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £250. Patrons, the Dean and Canons of Windsor. The church is early English; the chancel was rebuilt in an ungainly manner, in 1825; the nave was repaired in 1853; and the entire fabric, at a cost of about £1,000, was restored in 1865. There are a national school, and charities £5.

Monkland through time

Monkland is now part of Herefordshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how Herefordshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Monkland itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Monkland in Herefordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1890

Date accessed: 18th May 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Monkland ".