Place:


Pancrasweek  Devon

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Pancrasweek like this:

PANCRASWEEK, a village and a parish in Holsworthy district, Devon. The village stands near the Bude canal, the river Tamar, and the boundary with Cornwall, 3½ miles W N W of Holsworthy, and 15 N by W of Lifton r. station; and is sometimes called Week-Pancrassa, or Week, St. Pancras. The parish contains also the hamlets of Dexbeer, Dunsdon, and Kingford; and its post town is Holsworthy, North Devon. ...


Acres, 3, 782. Real property, £2, 209. Pop. in 1851, 460; in 1861, 378. Houses, 71. Much of the land belongs to L. W. Buck, Esq. The living a p. curacy, annexed to the vicarage of Bradworthy, in the diocese of Exeter. The church is later English; and consists of nave, Naisle, transept, and chancel with a lofty tower. There is a Wesleyan chapel.

Pancrasweek through time

Pancrasweek is now part of Torridge district. Click here for graphs and data of how Torridge has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Pancrasweek itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Pancrasweek, in Torridge and Devon | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1883

Date accessed: 11th August 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Pancrasweek ".