Place:


Denton  County Durham

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Denton like this:

DENTON, a chapelry in Gainford parish, Durham; on a branch of the river Skerne, 1½ mile N of Pierce-Bridge r. station, and 5½ NW by W of Darlington. Post town, Pier-Bridge, under Darlington. Acres, 966. Real property, £1, 566. Pop., 111. Houses, 23. The property is divided among a few. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Durham. Value, £60. Patron, the Vicar of Gainford. The church is good.

Denton through time

Denton is now part of Darlington district. Click here for graphs and data of how Darlington has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Denton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Denton, in Darlington and County Durham | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1855

Date accessed: 21st May 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Denton ".