Place:


Cornhill on Tweed  Northumberland

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Cornhill on Tweed like this:

CORNHILL, a village and a chapelry in Norham parish, Northumberland. The village stands adjacent to the Tweedmouth and Kelso railway, about a mile from the Tweed, and 5¾ SSW of Norham. It has a station on the railway, which serves for the neighbouring Scotch town of Coldstream; has also a good inn, and a fair on 6 Dec.; and is a good centre for anglers. ...


The chapelry comprises 4, 746 acres; and its post town is Coldstream. Real property, £7, 989. Pop., 853. Houses, 167. The property is divided among a few. Traces exist of a castle taken by the Scots in 1549. There is a mineral well. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Durham-Value, £300.* Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Durham. The church is early English, and was repaired in 1840.

Cornhill on Tweed through time

Cornhill on Tweed is now part of Berwick upon Tweed district. Click here for graphs and data of how Berwick upon Tweed has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Cornhill on Tweed itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Cornhill on Tweed, in Berwick upon Tweed and Northumberland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1850

Date accessed: 07th July 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Cornhill on Tweed ".