Place:


High Coniscliffe  County Durham

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described High Coniscliffe like this:

CONISCLIFFE, two townships and a parish in Darlington district, Durham. High Coniscliffe township lies on the river Tees, on the Roman road to Binchester, and on the South Durham railway, adjacent to Piercebridge r. station, 4¼ miles W of Darlington; and has a post office under Darlington. ...


Real property, £2, 608. Pop., 234. Houses, 51. A Roman station seems to have been here; and Roman relics, including coins and an altar, have been found. Low Coniscliffe township lies also on the Tees, about a mile SE of High Coniscliffe; and includes the hamlet of Carlbury. Real property, £1, 429. Pop., 200. Houses, 38. The parish comprises 3, 008 acres. Real property, £4, 037. Pop., 434. Houses, 89. The property is divided among a few. The Coniscliffe fells, in the north, are romantic eminences, with slate quarries and copper ore. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Durham. Value, £216.* Patron, the Bishop of Durham. The church is early English, has a tall spire, and commands a fine prospect. There are a Wesleyan chapel, and charities £12.

High Coniscliffe through time

High Coniscliffe is now part of Darlington district. Click here for graphs and data of how Darlington has changed over two centuries. For statistics about High Coniscliffe itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of High Coniscliffe, in Darlington and County Durham | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1849

Date accessed: 25th January 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " High Coniscliffe ".