Place:


Blackwell  County Durham

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Blackwell like this:

BLACKWELL, a township in Darlington parish, Durham; on the river Tees, near the Croftbridge railway, 1 ½ mile SW by S of Darlington. Acres, 1,499. Real property, £3,573. Pop., 336. Houses, 62. Blackwell-Grange is the seat of the Allan family; and he death-place of George Allan, the antiquary. There Wesleyan chapel.

Blackwell through time

Blackwell is now part of Darlington district. Click here for graphs and data of how Darlington has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Blackwell itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Blackwell, in Darlington and County Durham | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1845

Date accessed: 21st May 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Blackwell ".