Place:


Monyash  Derbyshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Monyash like this:

MONYASH, a village and a township-chapelry in Bakewell parish, Derby. The village stands in a hollow, at the head of the river Lathkill, 1½ mile E of the Cromford and High Peak railway, and 5 WSW of Bakewell r. station; was, at Domesday, a penal settlement for refactory monks; was afterwards a market-town; and is now a seat of half-yearly Barmoot courts, for matters relating to lead mines in the hundred of High Peak. ...


The chapelry comprises 3,840 acres. Post town, Bakewell. Real property, £3,278; of which £20 are in quarries. Pop., 460. Houses, 94. The manor belongs to W. and J. Finney, Esqs. The land lies chiefly on limestone, and has a bleak appearance. The living a p. curacy in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £123.* Patron, the Vicar of Bakewell. The church is old, and consists of nave and aisles, with tower and octagonal spire. There are chapels for Quakers and Primitive Methodists, an endowed school with £20 a year, and charities £11.

Monyash through time

Monyash is now part of Derbyshire Dales district. Click here for graphs and data of how Derbyshire Dales has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Monyash itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Monyash in Derbyshire Dales | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1812

Date accessed: 27th September 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Monyash ".