Place:


Wigmore  Herefordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Wigmore like this:

WIGMORE, a village, a parish, and a hundred, in Hereford. The village stands 5 miles SE of Bucknell r. station and 9 NW of Leominster; is a seat of petty-sessions; and has a post-office under Kingsland, Herefordshire, a police station, and fairs on 6 May and 5 Aug. -The parish includes part of Limebrook, and is in Ludlow district. ...


Acres, 3,441. Real property, £3,342. Pop., 499. Houses, 104. The property is subdivided. A castle stood, in the Saxon times, on an eminence a little W of the village; was rebuilt, in the 12th century, by Ranulph Mortimer; and has left some remains. An Augustinian abbey was founded about a mile from the castle by R. Mortimer; went, at the dissolution, to Sir T. Palmer; and also has left some remains. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £120* Patron, the Bishop of H. The church is early English, and was recently restored. There are two Methodist chapels, a national school, and charities £8.-The hundred contains 14 parishes and 5 parts. Acres, 47,075. Pop., 6,309. Houses, 1,234.

Wigmore through time

Wigmore is now part of Herefordshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how Herefordshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Wigmore itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Wigmore in Herefordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1795

Date accessed: 05th August 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Wigmore ".