East Linton  East Lothian


In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described East Linton like this:

Linton, East, a small police burgh in Prestonkirk parish, Haddingtonshire. It stands 80 feet above sea-level, 1¾ mile NNE of conical Traprain Law (700 feet), mostly on the left bank of the river Tyne, and has a station on the North British railway, 5¾ miles WSW of Dunbar, and 23½ E by N of Edinburgh, whilst by road it is 55/8 miles ENE of Haddington, and 6½ SSE of North Berwick. ...

It took the name of Linton from a large, deep linn here in the river Tyne; it gave that name to the parish from the earliest record down to the Reformation; and it bears the prefix East to distinguish it from West Linton in Peeblesshire. A prosperous place, conducting a considerable amount of rural trade, it consists mainly of East Linton proper, immediately on the railway, and partly of the extraburghal suburb of Preston, 3 furlongs lower down the river, and it has a post office (Prestonkirk), with money order, savings' bank, and telegraph departments, a branch of the National Bank, 3 inns, a gas company, curling, bowling, football, cricket, and golf clubs; horticultural, athletic, and ornithological societies; Good Templars' and Foresters' lodges; a weekly Monday market, and cattle fairs on the second Mondays of March, May, and June, and on the Thursday before Falkirk October Tryst the last of the most importance. A public hall, 60 feet long, 36½ broad, and 31 high, was erected in 1874-75 at a cost of £1000, and serves for volunteer drill, lectures, concerts, etc. A coffee-house, with reading-room and library, was built in 1880-81, at a cost of £1000, by Lady Baird of Newbyth; and in 1881 a public school, With accommodation for 464 children, was built at a cost of £3000. The parish church, in Reston suburb, was built in 1770, and, as enlarged in 1824, contains 800 sittings. The Free church, improved and enlarged in 1879-80 at a cost of £1200, is a handsome Romanesque building, with tower and spire; and the U.P. church is seated for 400 worshippers. The railway viaduct over the Tyne here is the finest on the North British, that of Dunglass only excepted. Robert Brown (1757-1831), an agricultural writer, was a native. The municipal constituency numbered 229 in 1884, when the annual value of real property within the burgh amounted to £2951; its revenue, including assessments, being £235. Pop. (1831) 715, (1861) 835, (1871) 1037, (1881) 1042, of whom 923 were within the police burgh.—Ord. Sur., sh. 33, 1863.

East Linton through time

East Linton is now part of East Lothian district. Click here for graphs and data of how East Lothian has changed over two centuries. For statistics about East Linton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of East Linton in East Lothian | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.


Date accessed: 15th June 2024

Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "East Linton".