Place:


Cowdenbeath  Fife

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Cowdenbeath like this:

Cowdenbeath, a village in the S of Beath parish, Fife, 2 miles WS W of Lochgelly, and 3 furlongs N by W of Cowdenbeath station on the Edinburgh, Perth, and Dundee section of the North British, this being 5¼ miles ENE of Dunfermline. It has a post office under Lochgelly,. with money order, savings' bank, and telegraph departments, a Free church, and a public school; and in the neighbourhood are the extensive collieries of the Cowdenbeath Coal Co. Pop. (1861) 1148, (1871) 1457, (1881) 2712.

Cowdenbeath through time

Cowdenbeath is now part of Fife district. Click here for graphs and data of how Fife has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Cowdenbeath itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Cowdenbeath in Fife | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/17413

Date accessed: 28th November 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Cowdenbeath ".