Place:


Tobermory  Argyll

 

In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Tobermory like this:

Tobermory, seaport vil., police burgh, and quoad sacra par., Kilninian and Kilmore par., Mull island, Argyllshire, on Sound of Mull, 28 miles NW. of Oban - quoad sacra par., pop. 1342; vil., pop. 1200; police burgh, pop. 1131; P.O., T.O., 2 Banks. Tobermory was founded in 1788 by the British Fisheries Company. It has a good natural harbour and a new pier, and regular communication by steamer with Oban and Glasgow.

Tobermory through time

Tobermory is now part of Argyll and Bute district. Click here for graphs and data of how Argyll and Bute has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Tobermory itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Tobermory in Argyll and Bute | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: https://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/17391

Date accessed: 18th April 2024


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Tobermory".