Leven  Fife


In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Leven like this:

Leven, town with ry. sta., Scoonie par., Fife, on W. side of Largo Bay, Firth of Forth, at influx of river Leven, l0¾ miles NE. of Kirkcaldy, pop. (including Innerleven) 3067; P.O., T.O., 3 Banks; a bridge leads across the river to the suburb of Innerleven, or Dubbyside, in Markinch par. ...

A new wet dock, with river wall and protection wall, was opened in 1880, and accommodates vessels of 800 tons. The principal industries are flax-spinning and linen-weaving, and in the neighbourhood are foundries, bone-dust and corn mills, brickworks, &c. The place gives the title of Earl of Leven, now united with that of Melville. Leven is a police burgh.

Leven through time

Leven is now part of Fife district. Click here for graphs and data of how Fife has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Leven itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Leven in Fife | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.


Date accessed: 02nd August 2021

Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Leven ".