Ferry Port on Craig  Fife


In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Ferry Port on Craig like this:

Tayport (or Ferry-Port-on-Craig), town and par., Fife, on S. side of entrance to Firth of Tay, opposite Broughty Ferry, 3½ miles SE. of Dundee by water and 45½ NE. of Edinburgh by rail - par., 2758 ac., pop. 2818; town, pop. 2630; P.O., T.O., 1 Bank. Tayport is the southern terminus of a ferry in connection with the railway, and is a bathing resort; there are linen factories, a flax and jute spinning mill, a bobbin factory, and a shipbuilding yard; at Tayport are 2 light-houses (High Lighthouse and Pile Lighthouse), 76 and 53 ft. ...

high, with fixed lights (Tayport, or Port-on-Craig) 80 and 30 ft. above high water and seen 12 and 10 miles.

Ferry Port on Craig through time

Ferry Port on Craig is now part of Fife district. Click here for graphs and data of how Fife has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Ferry Port on Craig itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Ferry Port on Craig in Fife | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.


Date accessed: 20th January 2022

Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Ferry Port on Craig ".