Place:


Barningham Winter  Norfolk

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Barningham Winter like this:

BARNINGHAM-TOWN, or B.Winter, or B.Magna, or B. Great, a parish in Erpingham district, Norfolk; 5 miles SE of Holt, and 15 ENE of Ryburgh r. station. Post Town, Holt, under Thetford. Acres, 833. Real property, £1,036. Pop., 125. Houses, 23. The property is divided among a few. Barningham Hall, a fine Tudor mansion, is the seat of J. T. Mott, Esq. A market and a fair were formerly held in the parish, under grant of Edward II. to Roger le Curzam. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Norwich. Value, £135.* Patron, J. T. Mott, Esq. The church is partly a ruin.

Barningham Winter through time

Barningham Winter is now part of North Norfolk district. Click here for graphs and data of how North Norfolk has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Barningham Winter itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Barningham Winter in North Norfolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1710

Date accessed: 09th July 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Barningham Winter ".