Boness  West Lothian


In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Boness like this:

Borrowstounness, or Bo'ness, par. and seaport, NW. Linlithgowsh., on Firth of Forth, 23 miles NW. of Edinburgh by rail, 3146 ac., pop. 6088; town, pop. 5284; P.O., T.O., 2 Banks, 1 newspaper. It lies in a rich mineral district, and has mfrs. of salt, vitriol, soap, malt, and earthenware. A new wet dock (7¼ ac.) was opened in 1881; a considerable coasting trade is carried on. (For shipping statistics, see Appendix.) Adjacent to the town are remains of the Roman wall of Antoninus, known as Graham's Dyke.

Boness through time

Boness is now part of Falkirk district. Click here for graphs and data of how Falkirk has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Boness itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Boness, in Falkirk and West Lothian | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.


Date accessed: 13th April 2024

Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Boness".