Place:


Inverkeithing  Fife

 

In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Inverkeithing like this:

Inverkeithing, parl. and royal burgh, and par. and quoad sacra par., Fife - par., 4482 ac., pop. 2565; quoad sacra par. (including part of Dunfermline par.), pop. 2753; parl. burgh, pop. 1646; royal burgh, pop. 1366; town with ry. sta., on Inverkeithing Bay, Firth of Forth, 3¾ miles SE. ...


of Dunfermline, pop. 1653; P.O., T.O., 1 Bank. Market-day, Monday. Inverkeithing is a royal burgh of ancient date, having a charter from William the Lion. A house is still pointed out as the residence of Annabella Drummond (1340-1403), the widowed queen of Robert III., and near it vestiges have been discovered of a monastery. The church, except the Middle Pointed tower, is modern, but contains an old font, one of the finest in Scotland. The harbour, at spring tides, admits vessels of 200 tons. Shipbuilding and several other small industries are carried on. Inverkeithing is one of the Stirling District of Parliamentary Burghs, which returns 1 member.

Inverkeithing through time

Inverkeithing is now part of Fife district. Click here for graphs and data of how Fife has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Inverkeithing itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Inverkeithing in Fife | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/17025

Date accessed: 16th October 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Inverkeithing ".