Place:


Dunbarney  Perthshire

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Dunbarney like this:

Dunbarny, a parish of SE Perthshire, containing the post-office village of Bridge of Earn, with a station on the North British, 3¾ miles SSE of Perth, and also, 1 mile S by W, the village of Kintillo. It is bounded NW by the Craigend section of Forteviot, N by Perth, NE by Rhynd, E by Abernethy, SE by Dron, and W by the Glenearnhill section of Dron and by Forgandenny. ...


Its greatest length, from NNE to SSW, is 4] miles; its greatest breadth, from E to W, is 4 miles; and its area is 41361/3 acres, of which 76½ are water. The river Earn winds 5¾ miles east-by-southward along the Forteviot and Abernethy borders and through the interior between banks of singular beauty; and from its low-lying valley the surface rises northward to 725 feet on richly-wooded Moncreiffe, southward to 800 on the western slopes of Dron Hill. Trap and Old Red sandstone are the prevailing rocks, and both have been largely quarried. Five mineral springs at Pitcaithly enjoy a high medicinal repute, and attracted so many invalids and other visitors, as to occasion the erection of Bridge of Earn village, and of hotels both there and at Pitcaithly. The soil of the arable lands is variously till, clay, loam, and alluvium, and has been highly improved. Illustrious natives or residents were Robert Craigie (l685-1760), Lord President of the Court of Session; Robert Craigie, Lord Craigie- (1754-1834), also an eminent judge; Sir Francis Grant (1803-78), president of the Royal Academy; and his brother, General Sir James Hope Grant, G. C. B. (1808-75). Mansions are Ballendrick, Kilgraston, Moncreiffe, Dunbarny, and Kinmonth, the two last being 2 miles W by N, and 3 miles NE, of Bridge of Earn; and 5 proprietors hold each an annual value of £500 and upwards, 3 of between £100 and £500, 3 of from £50 to £100, and 12 of from £20 to £50. Dunbarny is in the presbytery of Perth and synod of Perth and Stirling; the living is worth £300. The ancient church stood at the extinct village of Dunbarny, close to Dunbarny House; its successor was built near Bridge of Earn in 1684; and a few yards E of the site of this is the present church (1787; 650 sittings). Chapels subordinate to the ancient church stood at Moncreiffe and at Kirkpottie in Dron; and that at Moncreiffe continues to be the burying-place of the Moncreiffe family. There is also a Free church; and a public school, erected in 1873, with accommodation for 180 children, had (1880) an average attendance of 106, and a grant of £104, 5s. Valuation (1882) £8429, 12s. 7d. Pop. (1801) 1066, (1831) 1162, (1851) 1056, (1871) 913, (1881) 756.—Ord. Sur., sh. 48, 1868.

Dunbarney through time

Dunbarney is now part of Perth and Kinross district. Click here for graphs and data of how Perth and Kinross has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Dunbarney itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Dunbarney, in Perth and Kinross and Perthshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/17000

Date accessed: 18th January 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Dunbarney ".