Place:


Callander  Perthshire

 

In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Callander like this:

Callander, market town and par., SW. Perthshire, on river Teith, 16 miles NW. of Stirling, 45 N. of Glasgow, and 52 NW. of Edinburgh by rail -- par., 53,817 ac. (2630 water), pop. 2167; town, pop. 1522; P.O., T.O., 2 Banks; is much resorted to by tourists because of its proximity to the Trossachs, and its situation in the midst of romantic scenery; in vicinity of town are Callander Hydropathic, and Callander House and Callander Lodge, seats.

Callander through time

Callander is now part of Stirling district. Click here for graphs and data of how Stirling has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Callander itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Callander, in Stirling and Perthshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/16927

Date accessed: 22nd September 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Callander ".