Place:


Fintry  Stirlingshire

 

In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Fintry like this:

Fintry.-- par. and vil., mid. Stirlingshire, --par., 13,722 ac., pop. 414; vil., on Endrick Water, 16 miles SW. of Stirling and 17 NE. of Glasgow; P.O.; in N. of par. are the Fintry Hills, alt. 1676 ft.; 2¼ miles E. of vil., on Endrick Water, is the Loup of Fintry, a waterfall of 94 ft.; 3½ miles E. of vil. are the remains of Fintry (or Graham's) Castle, stronghold of the Grahams of Fintry.

Fintry through time

Fintry is now part of Stirling district. Click here for graphs and data of how Stirling has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Fintry itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Fintry, in Stirling and Stirlingshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/16854

Date accessed: 06th December 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Fintry ".