Place:


Rougham  Norfolk

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Rougham like this:

ROUGHAM, a parish, with a village, in Mitford district, Norfolk; 2 miles E of the Peddar-way, and 7½ N by E of Swaffham r. station. It has a post-office‡ under Brandon. Acres, 2, 627. Real property, £3, 488. Pop., 409. Houses, 85. The manor, with R. Hall, belongs to F. W. North, Esq. ...


The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Norwich. Value, £255.* Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church has, over the W door, an oldcarving of the crucifixion, and contains brasses and monuments of the Norths and the Yelvertons. There are chapels for Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists, and a national school.

Rougham through time

Rougham is now part of Breckland district. Click here for graphs and data of how Breckland has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Rougham itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Rougham, in Breckland and Norfolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1685

Date accessed: 27th November 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Rougham ".