Place:


Kirkliston  West Lothian

 

In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Kirkliston like this:

Kirkliston, vil. with ry. sta., Linlithgowshire, and par., partly also in Edinburghshire--par., 9505 ac., pop. 2580; vil., on river Almond, 10 miles W. of Edinburgh by rail, pop. 747; P.O., T.O.; has a distillery. Kirkliston was anciently called Temple Liston, its church having once belonged to the Knights Templars; the church is a very ancient building, and contains the old burying-vault of the Stairs.

Kirkliston through time

Kirkliston is now part of Edinburgh district. Click here for graphs and data of how Edinburgh has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Kirkliston itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Kirkliston, in Edinburgh and West Lothian | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: https://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/16721

Date accessed: 22nd June 2024


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Kirkliston".