Place:


Wiggenhall St German  Norfolk

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Wiggenhall St German like this:

WIGGENHALL-ST. GERMANS, a parish and a village, in Downham district, Norfolk; on the river Ouse, 2½ miles NNW of Watlington r. station, and 4 SSW of Lynn. It has a post-office‡ under Lynn, and a wooden bridge over the Ouse. Acres, 1,219. Real property, £3,648. Pop. in 1851, 750; in 1861, 633. ...


Houses, 156. The decrease of pop. was caused by absence of labourers on the Eau-Brink drainage works. The property is much subdivided. All the four W. parishes are in Fitton manor; and much of the land is below the high-water level of the Ouse, and protected by strong embankments. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Norwich. Value, £160.* Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of N. The church is ancient; and there are three Methodist chapels.

Wiggenhall St German through time

Wiggenhall St German is now part of Kings Lynn and West Norfolk district. Click here for graphs and data of how Kings Lynn and West Norfolk has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Wiggenhall St German itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Wiggenhall St German in Kings Lynn and West Norfolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1671

Date accessed: 21st May 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Wiggenhall St German ".