Place:


Kinellar  Aberdeenshire

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Kinellar like this:

Kinellar, a parish of SE Aberdeenshire, containing, at its NE corner, Kinaldie station on the Great North of Scotland railway, 2¾ miles ESE of Kintore Junction, and 10½ NW of Aberdeen, under which, 1¾ mile to the S, there is a post office of Blackburn. It is bounded N by Fintray, E by Dyce and Newhills, SE and SW by Skene, and NW by Kintore. ...


Its utmost length, from N to S, is 4 3/8 miles; its breadth, from E to W, varies between 1 and 2 3/8 miles; and its area is 4227½ acres, of which 10½ are water. The Don winds 2 miles east-by-northward along all the northern boundary; and, in the NE, where it quits the parish, the surface declines to 135 feet above sea-level, thence rising south-south-westward to 500 feet near Woodhill Cottage, and 610 at the Drum Stone. Granite is the predominant rock; and the soil is alluvial along the Don, loamy or gravelly on the lower knolls and hill slopes, but generally of fair fertility. A heathy common, partly broken up in 1840, is on the NW border; a patch or two of rocky moor occurs in other parts; and, with the exception of a small proportion of planted ground, all the rest of the land is regularly or occasionally in tillage. Antiquities are numerous tumuli on the north-western common, remnants of an ancient Caledonian stone circle in the churchyard, the ' Assembly Cairn ' of Auchronie, and the ' Drum Stone ' on Upper Auquhorsk farm, on which ' the much renounit laird of Drum ' is said to have sat and made his testament on his way to the battle of Harlaw (1411). Mansions are Tertowie, Kinellar Lodge, Kinaldie, and Glasgoego; and 3 proprietors hold each an annual value of £500 and upwards, 4 of between £100 and £500, and 5 of from £20 to £50. Kinellar is in the presbytery and synod of Aberdeen; the living is worth £201. The parish church, 15/8 mile SSW of Kinaldie station, was built in 1801, and contains 250 sittings. The public school, with accommodation for 106 children, had (1881) an average attendance of 61, and a grant of £47, 12s. 6d. Valuation (1860) £4308, (1882) £5090, 16s. 6d., plus £267 for railway. Pop. (1801) 309, (1831) 449, (1861) 691, (1871) 601, (1881) 580.—Ord. Sur., shs. 77, 76, 1873-74.

Kinellar through time

Kinellar is now part of Aberdeenshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how Aberdeenshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Kinellar itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Kinellar in Aberdeenshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/16704

Date accessed: 03rd April 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Kinellar ".