Place:


Greenlaw  Berwickshire

 

In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Greenlaw like this:

Greenlaw.-- small town and par. with ry. sta., Berwickshire, on Blackadder Water, 7½ miles SW. of Duns -- par., 12,149 ac., pop. 1245; town, pop. 744; P.O., T.O., 1 Bank. Greenlaw dates from the close of the 17th century; it succeeded an older town of the same name about 1 mile to the S. From 1696 till 1853 it was the county town, a position now shared by Duns.

Greenlaw through time

Greenlaw is now part of Scottish Borders district. Click here for graphs and data of how Scottish Borders has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Greenlaw itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Greenlaw, in Scottish Borders and Berwickshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/16664

Date accessed: 25th October 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Greenlaw ".