Largo  Fife


In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Largo like this:

Largo, par. and ry. sta., Fife, on Largo Bay, Firth of Forth, 3 miles NE. of Leven, 7386 ac., pop. 2234, 1 Bank. Market-day, Thursday. The par. contains the rural vil. of Upper Largo (or Kirkton of Largo); P.O., T.O.; and the fishing vil. of Lower Largo, pop. (including Temple), 562; P.O.; in W. ...

vicinity of Upper Largo is Largo House, seat, and a circular tower which formed part of the old castle inhabited by Admiral Sir Andrew Wood (1455-1539); Lower Largo was the birth-place of Alexander Selkirk (1676-1723), the prototype of "Robinson Crusoe," and a monument to his memory was erected there in 1885; 1 mile N. of Upper Largo is Largo Law, a conical hill, 948 ft. high; in Largo Bay, which stretches 6 miles across from Kincraig Point to Buckhaven, and penetrates 2 miles inland, line and salmon fishing is carried on.

Largo through time

Largo is now part of Fife district. Click here for graphs and data of how Fife has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Largo itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Largo in Fife | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.


Date accessed: 12th April 2024

Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Largo".