Place:


Tiree  Argyll

 

In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Tiree like this:

Tyree, island and par., Inner Hebrides, Argyllshire - par. (comprising Tyree and Skerryvore), 18,942 ac., pop. 2733; island, 2 miles SW. of Coll and 28 miles SW. of Tobermory, pop. 2730; P.O., called Tiree; is 14 miles long and from ¾ mile to 6 miles broad, and rises to a maximum alt. of 400 ft. The soil is generally fertile, but the rearing of black cattle is the chief employment. Cattle, poultry, and eggs are largely exported.

Tiree through time

Tiree is now part of Argyll and Bute district. Click here for graphs and data of how Argyll and Bute has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Tiree itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Tiree in Argyll and Bute | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/16551

Date accessed: 22nd September 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Tiree ".