Grangemouth  Stirlingshire


In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Grangemouth like this:

Grangemouth, seaport town, Falkirk, Bothkennar, and Polmont pars., E. Stirlingshire, on Firth of Forth, at entrance of Forth and Clyde Canal, and at confluence of Grange Burn and river Carron, 3 miles NE. of Falkirk by rail, pop. 4560; P.O., T.O., 2 Banks. Grangemouth was founded in 1777, in connection with the construction of the Forth and Clyde Canal; in 1810 it was made a head port. ...

It has considerable docks (opened 1843,1859, and 1882) and timber basins; and outside the harbour is a sea-wall, 850 ft. long, at which the largest ships can unload. Grangemouth is the headquarters of several steamship lines trading to London, Norway, Sweden, the Baltic, and elsewhere. (For shipping statistics, see Appendix.) On end of S. embankment, at entrance of river Carron, is a lighthouse with fixed light seen 10 miles. Shipbuilding (principally of iron steamers) is carried on, and there are sawmills, brick and tile works, and a rope and sail factory. Grangemouth has a Public Institute, opened 1876; a public park, presented by the Earl of Zetland, 1882; and a Town Hall, founded 1884.

Grangemouth through time

Grangemouth is now part of Falkirk district. Click here for graphs and data of how Falkirk has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Grangemouth itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Grangemouth, in Falkirk and Stirlingshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.


Date accessed: 25th April 2024

Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Grangemouth".