Place:


Morham  East Lothian

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Morham like this:

Morham, a parish of central Haddingtonshire, whose church stands 4 miles ESE of Haddington. Bounded W and NW by Haddington, NE by Prestonkirk, and SE by Whittingham and Garvald, the parish has an utmost length from ENE to WSW of 3 ½ miles, an utmost breadth of 1 5/8 mile, and an area of 2087 ¼ acres. ...


The surface, drained to the Tyne by Bearford Burn, is part of a gently undulating plain, with northward declension, which sinks little below 200, and little exceeds 400, feet above sea-level. A pretty little glen forms the minister's pasture glebe; but elsewhere the scenery is tame and bare. Trap rock abounds, and sandstone has been quarried; whilst coal of inferior quality was formerly worked. The soil in general inclines to clay. Morham Castle, which stood near the parish church, has wholly disappeared. The Earl of Wemyss divides the parish with four lesser proprietors. Morham is in the presbytery of Haddington and the synod of Lothian and Tweeddale; the living is worth £234. The parish church, built in 1724, contains 100 sittings; and the public school, with accommodation for 54 children, had (1883) an average attendance of 27, and a grant of £31, 4s. Valuation (1860) £3482, (1884) £2837, 5s. Pop. (1801) 254, (1831) 262, (1861) 281, (1871) 204, (l881) 209.—Ord. Sur., sh. 33, 1863.

Morham through time

Morham is now part of East Lothian district. Click here for graphs and data of how East Lothian has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Morham itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Morham in East Lothian | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/16518

Date accessed: 20th May 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Morham ".