Place:


Cranshaws  Berwickshire

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Cranshaws like this:

Cranshaws, a Lammermuir hamlet and parish in the N of Berwickshire. The hamlet lies, 676 feet above sea-level, on the right bank of Whitadder Water, 16 miles SE by E of Haddington, and 9 NW of Dunse, under which it has a post office.

The parish consists of two sections, which are separated from each other by a strip (¾ mile broad at the narrowest) of Longformacus, and the northernmost of which contains the hamlet. ...


This, with an utmost length and breadth of 23/4 and 23/8 miles, is bounded N by the Gamelshiel section of Stenton in Haddingtonshire, E and S by Longformacus, and W by Whittingham in Haddingtonshire. The southern and larger division measures 5¼ miles from E to W; has a varying width, from N to S, of 1½ and 31/8 miles; and is bounded NW, N, and E by Longformacus, S by Greenlaw and Westruther, and SW by Lander. Including 30½ acres of water, the total area is 8738¼ acres, of which 2589 belong to the northern, and 6149¼ to the southern, porstion. The Whitadder runs 3. miles on or near to the northern and eastern border of Cranshaws proper, whose highest points are Cranshaws Hill (1245 feet) and Mainslaughter Law (1381); whilst Dye Water runs 5 miles east-by-southward along all the northern boundary of the lower division, whose surface rises from less than 700 feet above sea-level to 1298 on Dunside Hill and 1522 on Blyth Edge. The rocks are Silurian; and much of the soil is poor, the arable land along the streams amounting to only some 900 acres. A tumulus crowns Mainslaughter Law, which is said to have got its name from the battle fought in 1402 between Hepburn of Hailes and the Earl of Dunbar. The fine old peel tower called Cranshaws Castle, standing towards the centre of the northern section, measures 40 by 24 feet, and is 65 feet high; a former stronghold of the Douglases, and the haunt of a drudging brownie, it now is the seat of the eldest son of the Earl of Morton, Sholto-George-Watson Douglas, Lord Aberdour (b. 1844), who, holding 2551 acres in the shire, valued at £1050 per annum, divides this parish with 2 other landowners. It is in the presbytery of Dunse and synod of Merse and Teviotdale; the living is worth £200. The church, at the hamlet, was built in 1739, and contains 120 sittings; whilst a public school, with accommodation for 55 children, had (1880) an average attendance of 35, and a grant of £52, 14s. 6d. Valuation (1882) £2492, 16s. Pop. (1801) 166, (1831) 136, (1861) 134, (1871) 142, (1881) 106.—Ord. Sur., sh. 33, 1863.

Cranshaws through time

Cranshaws is now part of Scottish Borders district. Click here for graphs and data of how Scottish Borders has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Cranshaws itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Cranshaws, in Scottish Borders and Berwickshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/16486

Date accessed: 05th December 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Cranshaws ".