Place:


Harris  Inverness Shire

 

In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Harris like this:

Harris, S. part of Lewis island, and par., Outer Hebrides, Inverness -- par., 123,757 ac., pop. 4814; P.O., T.O.; the par. comprises (besides Harris proper) the islands of Bernera, Ensay, Killigray, Pabbay, St Kilda, Scalpa, Scarp, Scotsway, and Tarrensay; Harris, Sound of (9 miles long, SE. and NW., and from 8 to 12 miles broad), between Harris and North Uist island, is the only navigable channel, for large vessels, through the Outer Hebrides.

Harris through time

Harris is now part of Eilean Siar district. Click here for graphs and data of how Eilean Siar has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Harris itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Harris, in Eilean Siar and Inverness Shire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/16436

Date accessed: 23rd September 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Harris ".