Place:


Madderty  Perthshire

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Madderty like this:

Madderty, a parish in Strathearn district, Perthshire, with a station on the Perth, Methven, and Crieff section - of the Caledonian railway, 11½ miles W by S of Perth and 6 ¼ E by N of Crieff, under which it has a post and telegraph office. Containing also Abercairney station, St David's village, and the hamlet of Bellycloan, it is bounded N by Fowlis-Wester, NE by Methven, SE by Gask, S by Trinity Gask, SW by Monzie (detached), and NW by Crieff. ...


Its utmost length, from ENE to WSW, is 55/8 miles; its utmost breadth is 23/8 miles; and its area is 4863¼ acres, of which 2½ are water. The surface is all a portion of the low flat lands of the valley of the Earn, sinking little below 200 and little exceeding 300 feet above sea-level. all the northern and north -western boundary is traced by sluggish Pow Water, which traverses an artificial cut 6 feet deep and 4 feet wide, and which formerly flooded the adjacent lands, but is now restrained by embankments; and all the south-eastern boundary is traced by Cowgask Burn, another tributary of the river Earn. The prevailing rock is Old Red sandstone; and the soil is partly alluvial, partly loamy. About one-eighth of the entire area is under plantation, and nearly all the remainder is in tillage. James Burgh (1714.75), a voluminous but forgotten writer, was a native. Inchaffray Abbey is noticed separately, as likewise are the mansions of Woodend and Dollerie. The landed property is divided among 8. Madderty is in the presbytery of Auchterarder and the synod of Perth and Stirling; the living is worth £317. The parish church, 5 furlongs SW of Madderty station, is modern and amply commodious. There is also a Free church; and a public school, with accommodation for 70 children, had (1883) an average attendance of 58, and a grant of £57, 10s. Valuation (1860) £5754, (1884) £6421, 17s. 11d. Pop. (1801) 560, (l831) 713, (1861) 536, (1871) 523, (1881) 527.—Ord. Sur., sh. 47, 1869.

Madderty through time

Madderty is now part of Perth and Kinross district. Click here for graphs and data of how Perth and Kinross has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Madderty itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Madderty, in Perth and Kinross and Perthshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/16417

Date accessed: 17th May 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Madderty ".