Place:


Weem  Perthshire

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Weem like this:

Weem (Gael. uaimh, ` a cave '), a village and a parish of Perthshire. The village, on the N side of the Tay, 1 mile NW of Aberfeldy, has a good hotel and a public school.

The parish lies dispersed in separate and far distant portions, over well-nigh a fourth of Perthshire, from near the head of Glenlochy on the W, to the vicinity of Loch Frenchie on the E, and from 3 miles S of Loch Tummel on the N, to within 3 ¼ miles of Loch Earn on the S. ...


It claims, at 22 miles distance from its parish church, the very nearest farm to the church of Killin; and it has other farms at a still greater distance, some of them upwards of 30 miles, both in Glenlochy and Glenlyon. With a total area of 67½ square miles, its districts are eleven in number, all mutually detached, all intermixed with wings and detachments of Logierait, Dull, Fortingall, Kenmore, Killin, Comrie, and- Little Dunkeld, and several of them possessing a very irregular outline; so that any brief attempt at a topographical description of them would either be abortive, or would involve a miniature picture of nearly one-fourth of the county. Enough that its principal features are noticed in our articles on Achmore, Castle-Menzies, Comrie, Glassie, etc. The rocks are mainly metamorphic; and the soil is very various in the different districts, and even in different parts of each of several of the districts, but may be described, in general, as wet and marshy in a few places, as light and gravelly in the highest parts, and as a strong fertile loam throughout much of Weem proper. The principal landowners are Sir Robert Menzies, Bart., and the Earl of Breadalbane. Giving off portions to Innerwick and Amulree quoad sacra parishes, Weem is the seat of a presbytery in the synod of Perth and Stirling. The living is worth £215. The parish church was built in 1835, and contains 561 sittings. In the E end of the old church, which is still standing, is a curiously sculptured monument, with a Latin inscription, to Sir Alexander Menzies, who died in 1624. The private Episcopal chapel of St David was consecrated in 1878. The public school, with accommodation for 67 children, had (1884) an average attendance of 63, and a grant of £51, 16s. Valuation (1866) £5615, 0s. 3d., (1885) £6287, 17s. 9d. Pop. (1801) 1337, (1831) 1209, (1861) 692, (1871) 520, (1881) 474, of whom 397 were in the ecclesiastical parish.—Ord. Sur., shs. 55, 47, 46, 1869-72.

Weem through time

Weem is now part of Perth and Kinross district. Click here for graphs and data of how Perth and Kinross has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Weem itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Weem, in Perth and Kinross and Perthshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/16355

Date accessed: 06th December 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Weem ".