Place:


Castlemartin  Pembrokeshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Castlemartin like this:

CASTLE-MARTIN, a village, a parish, and a hundred in Pembrokeshire. The village stands on the coast, 5¾ miles WSW of Pembroke, and 7¼ SW of New Milford r. station; and has a post office under Pembroke. An ancient castle, of uncertain origin, or perhaps an ancient British fort, stood here; and has left some vestiges. ...


The parish extends a considerable way, along a rugged coast; and is in the district of Pembroke. Acres, 4,867; of which 365 are water. Real property, £4,024; of which £140 are in quarries. Pop., 422. Houses, 65. The property is divided among a few. Brownslade House is a chief residence. Several ancient British and Danish remains are on the coast. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St. David's. Value, £315.* Patron, Earl Cawdor. The church is old but excellent.-The hundred contains fifteen parishes, and parts of two others; and is famous for its breed of black cattle. Acres, 48,122. Pop., 5,856. Houses, 1,035.

Castlemartin through time

Castlemartin is now part of Pembrokeshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how Pembrokeshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Castlemartin itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Castlemartin in Pembrokeshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: https://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1609

Date accessed: 18th June 2024


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Castlemartin".