Place:


Stapleford  Cambridgeshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Stapleford like this:

STAPLEFORD, a parish in Chesterton district, Cambridge; near Shelford r. station, and 4½ miles SSE of Cambridge. It has a post-office under Cambridge. Acres, 1,400. Real property, £2,527. Pop., 465. Houses, 105. Gog-Magog-Hills House is a seat of the Duke of Leeds. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ely. Value, £181.* Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Ely. The church is old. There are a national school and charities £27. The antiquary Bentham was vicar.

Stapleford through time

Stapleford is now part of South Cambridgeshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Cambridgeshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Stapleford itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Stapleford in South Cambridgeshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1600

Date accessed: 05th December 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Stapleford ".