Place:


Shepreth  Cambridgeshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Shepreth like this:

SHEPRETH, a parish, with a village, in the district of Royston and county of Cambridge; on the Hitchin and Cambridge railway, 5 miles NE by N of Royston. It has a station on the railway, and a post-office under Royston. Acres, 1,269. Real property, £2,714. Pop., 339. Houses, 78. S. manor belonged to Chatteris nun nery; passed, through the Laxtons and others, to the Layers; and belongs now to B. ...


H. Wortham, Esq. Dockwra and Tyrrel manors belong to W. R. Woodham, Esq.; and Wimbish manor, to J. l. Ellis, Esq. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ely. Value, £92. Patron, B. H. Wortham, Esq. The church was recently in disrepair. There are an Independent chapel, a small free school, allotments for the poor, and other charities £14.

Shepreth through time

Shepreth is now part of South Cambridgeshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Cambridgeshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Shepreth itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Shepreth in South Cambridgeshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1598

Date accessed: 04th December 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Shepreth ".