Place:


Smallwood  Cheshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Smallwood like this:

SMALLWOOD, a township-chapelry in Astbury parish, Cheshire; 3 miles ESE of Sandbach, and 3¾ NNW of Kidsgrove-Junction r. station. It has a post-office under Stoke-on-Trent. Acres, 2,133. Real property, £4,392. Pop., 590. Houses, 122. S. House and Moss End are chief residences. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Chester. Value, £100.* Patron, the Rector of Astbury. The church was built in 1845, and is in the early English style. There is a national school.

Smallwood through time

Smallwood is now part of Congleton district. Click here for graphs and data of how Congleton has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Smallwood itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Smallwood, in Congleton and Cheshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1512

Date accessed: 21st October 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Smallwood ".