Place:


Caddington  Bedfordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Caddington like this:

CADDINGTON, a parish in the district of Luton and counties of Bedford and Hertford; near the Hertford and Dunstable railway, 2 miles WSW of Luton. It includes the Humbershoe portion of Market-street village; and its Post Town is Luton. Acres, 4,500. Real property, £6,785. Pop., 1,851. Houses, 389. ...


The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ely. Value, £375.* Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of St. Paul's. The church is ancient, and has two brasses of the 16th century. The vicarage of Market-street is a separate charge. There are two dissenting chapels, an endowed school with £138 a year, and charities £16.

Caddington through time

Caddington is now part of South Bedfordshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Bedfordshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Caddington itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Caddington in South Bedfordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/14573

Date accessed: 20th February 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Caddington ".